Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas: The Sound Track

I have been thinking about Christmas music since October. I didn't start listening until the day after Thanksgiving. But I love music. I too have been thinking about the ones that make me happy and the ones that make me cringe. I detest Johnny Mathis. Period. End of Sentence. Neil Diamond should not be singing Christmas Songs and besides Jingle Bells I think Barbara sold out.
Every year it changes a bit, but there are certain songs that make it Christmas. Mannheim Steamroller is Christmas to me. It gives me chills. But I only really love the first two albums. I know that some of my friends think that Chip Davis should be shot, and maybe the last album would be plenty of evidence and provication. "The Christmas Song" sung by Nat "King" Cole is enough to start me crying. By the by, for someone that you hate Jared, you sure like Mel Torme's music. :) This is the list this year:

Spirit of the Season by Alan Silvestri
The Christmas Song by Michael Buble
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland
Happy Holidays by Andy Williams
White Christmas by the Drifters
Merry Christmas Darling by the Carpenters
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear by Josh Groban, and the version by Frank Sinatra
The Christmas Waltz by Harry Connick Jr.
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams
Snow by Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and the lady who sings for Vera Ellen
Little Drummer Boy by Josh Groban--I normally detest this song, but Josh knows how to sing it
Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney
Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lennon
The Christmas Song by Josh Groban, Nat King Cole, Michael Buble and Frank Sinatra
Here Comes Santa Claus by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters
Jingle Bells by Andy Williams
Sleigh Ride by the Boston Pops and Harry Connick Jr.
Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Frank Sinatra
Jingle Bells by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters
I Pray on Christmas by Harry Connick Jr.
White Christmas by Bing Crosby
Sleigh Ride by Andy Williams
It Must've been Old Santa Claus by Harry Connick Jr.
THe Night Before Christmas by Carley Simon
Emmanuel by Amy Grant
Rejoice by Il Divo
Believe by Josh Groban
Candlelight Carol by John Rutter
Thankful by Josh Groban

3 comments:

Jinx said...

In my defense...I'm not sure where you got that I hate the artist known as The Velvet Fog. I definately wouln't consider myself a fan, but I don't hate him. I just don't think there's anything so spectacular about his voice when compared with Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, or the master himself Frank Sinatra. And anyway, the only song I listed by him is "The Christmas Song", but I don't like his version of it. Only Nat's. Everybody else just sounds like they wish they were Nat. Mel may have wrote the music & lyrics, but Nat OWNS that song, and nobody else is even close.

You've got a good (and BIG!) list going there, but for my taste, there's just too darned much Josh. I'll be the first to admit that his voice is AMAZING, but he sings all of his songs at a tempo that put many funeral durges to shame. I'm good listening to 1, maybe 2, Josh songs per hour...any more just starts to pain me.

Also, I have a hard time dealing with "Happy Xmas (War is Over)"...I can't tell if I want to sing along or change the station when it comes on. I think it's a really cool - if not repetative - song, and I love John's voice, but Yoko's squeals overpowering the chorus makes me cry.

AG said...

I agree that Yoko does sound like a chicken with its neck being rung--as immortalized in the tongue and cheek--You can Be My Yoko Ono-by the Bare Naked Ladies. There are only a few Joshs on there--but I conceed some on the tempos. But it is lovely.

April and Jeff said...

Lisha, Sweetheart it is Valentines Day... How about an update? ;) Hope things are good for you!