Monday, June 16, 2008

Hope is a thing with Feathers

It is my year anniversary of blogging. Which means that one year ago I was sitting in the kitchen of Butter knife Estates, a House of Heroes and Thad was pestering me to start blogging. So I did. Good to give into peer pressure sometimes.


One year later I am sitting on the marble floor of the Daytona Beach Hilton, having already read a total of 750 AP English Language tests, watching the rain hit the ocean and watching brown Pelicans fly in the sky. And though I have a shed a tear or two for the future of America in the hands of these callow youths who can't write "worth beans" as a new southern friend said today---I am feeling strangely hopeful. (notice how incredibly long this sentence is)



As I watch the pelicans fly, I think of a poem by Emily Dickinson, herein enclosed:



Hope
Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul,

And sings the tune--without the words,

And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;

And sore must be the storm

That could abash the little bird

That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land,

And on the strangest sea;

Yet, never, in extremity,

It asked a crumb of me.


These lovely birds so clumsy on land, ridiculous even, suddenly take off and become the most beautiful sight I have ever seen, arcing across the sky in pairs or groups, their nobility tangible to even such as I. That is what hope looks like to me: a brown pelican, noble, graceful, lovely, strong, awkward at times but indomitable.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

Hi Friend! That was an awesome post. Hope. We could all use a little bit more of that. The imagry was beautiful. I love your blog! One year in the blog world - congrats. I just started a few months ago. I am still a newbie. Reading that you were grading AP tests made me laugh. I can remember stressing out to TAKE the AP tests. That was lifetimes ago.

Willie said...

Almost thou persuadest me to be a blogger.

Jinx said...

Is THAT what you're doing in Florida??? Oh my, I sure hope you get to go out and go visit Disney World or something while you're there so your whole trip isn't spent reading predominantly sub-par essays mis-interpreting poetry.

See you this weekend!! Right?

Betsy B said...

I'm jealous you get to relax on a beach, but since you're grading AP tests I guess I'll keep my envy at bay. Thanks for the glimpse on hope.