I am not ashamed that I am a big fan of Clash of the Titans. I grew up watching this kitchy homage to Greek Mythology and loving it. I think it is because the story of Perseus is the story of all of us. He is an everyman, even though he is a demi-god.. Last week I had a fabulous day where my dear friends and I went to the Living Planet Aquarium in Sandy and spent the day with the fishes. We can back and ate fish--the irony-- and watched the original in preparation for viewing the newest version in 3-D the next day.
It was a lovely evening, following a lovely day. We stopped by Hatch Family Chocolates in Salt Lake City. These are the chocolatiers of TLC fame. Boy howdy, those are some good chocolates. All the way there we were joking about how one of the Hatchs has red hair, making him a ginger midget (made famous in Sherlock Holmes).
The new movie is wonderful. They give the mythology some very modern sensibilities, but it is true to the mythos of the tale. Perseus is raised by a fisherman and his wife and taught about humanity through their daily struggles to survive. His miraculous ability to survive disasters sets up the big surprise, Perseus is a Demi-God. What I liked is that you don't know that from the beginning. At least you aren't told that this is Zeus' son. The whole backstory makes much more sense, though it makes the gods more deliberate than the spoiled pantheon of Mt. Olympus dwellers. I highly recommend it. There is violence, but no gratuitous sex. There isn't even any kissing. But that is okay.

2 comments:
There's a scene that reminds me of something in Star Wars... what was it... "No, Luke... I am your father."
Great movie!
We've seen signs for that movie (all in French, but we can make out what they say). Ryan loves Greek mythology. I'll let him know you recommend the movie.
Post a Comment