For the last five months I have been reconditioning my body after three years of illness. It has felt amazing. I now can walk three miles every day. This means that I can go back to my old routes. My absolute favorite is the botany pond on BYU campus. This morning was gorgeous--the temperature was cool, so moving was a pleasure. The sun was bright and the sky was shot with high wispy mare's tales. The path was dappled in shadow and light and the sound of rushing water accompanied my steps. The last couple of days I have felt a euphoric lifting in my soul. I can move. I can be outside. I am alive. On Saturday I almost cried as I walked through the iris garden--the iri as we call them in my family. This morning I sang inwardly the words of a poem that I have always loved because I praise God for dappled things and for my body which has been dappled in sunlight and health. Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89). Poems. 1918. |
| 13. Pied Beauty |
|
Amen.
2 comments:
if you ever want a walking partner call me!!! i LOVE walks!!! i love you more!
I am so glad that you are feeling better! Hooray for walks! When we come to Utah to visit in September we'll have to try to find a time to go walking. :)
Post a Comment