Friday, February 13, 2015
The Astonishing Light of Your Own Being: Thoughts on Valentine's Day
"I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in the darkness, the astonishing light of your own being." Hafiz
"Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the byproduct of other activities." Aldous Huxely
Usually Valentine's Day is a hard one for single folks. Especially older single folks. Long ago, I decided that in order to overcome the tendency to gloom during this erzats holiday, I would embrace it. Send the Valentines. Get flowers. Believe in love. And you know what? It worked. I love Valentine's Day now. However, I do not believe in sadism, so with the release of Fifty Shades of Grey and Valentine's Day on social media, I am staying off of Facebook for a while. :) Baby steps.
Oh, the sun. How I love it. It has made a usually banal and bleak month much better. However, I get the feeling that the apocalypse is nigh. It is almost 60 degrees in February! This week has been rough. My blood work is off again. The doctor gave me some medication that has taken four days to kick in, but it is definitely helping. The week started on a high, dipped dangerously low in the middle, and is ending in sunshine and the glow of freshly sent Valentines. Happiness seems to be a cumulative thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sending you some sunshine! Not that we have any here. It's ten degrees and I have a quilt wrapped around me. Love you!
Always love your beautiful words, Alisha.
Thanks guys.
Post a Comment