So, I have had a fabulous week with my students. Their first hard paper is over and we move on to the personal narrative. In order to help my students connect with their own universe I ask them what kind of music they listen to and what that music reveals about their influences and life. So for the last two days I have laid my soul bare to these post high school pseudo-monsters and they have laughed at me and tried to calculate my age. But I don't mind. I like sharing myself with other people. But I thought that I would post my soundtrack for you all and see where we intersect. I have made soundtracks for many of you--songs that highlight moments in our friendships. So these are highlights of my life.
"In My Life": The Soundtrack of Alisha Geary
1. "The Rose" Bette Midler--along with "Another one Bites the Dust" by Queen this was the most popular song the year I was born.
2. "Letter B" The Beetles, this brilliant Seasame Street parody was my first introduction to the Beatles that I remember, I was around 1 1/2, I think.
3. "Heartlight" Neil Diamond, written for the film ET this great song that got cut was a favorite for two year old Alisha and four year old Aaron.
4. "Islands in the Stream" Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, oh those good old days in the mellow yellow car going to Reams. I knew every word.
5. "I am the Man" Peter Cetera, from The Karate Kid 2, a favorite of me and my brother's. We would recreate that fateful last scene in the castle. But after Aaron did the crane on me we were encouraged not to play Karate Kid anymore.
6. "Chariots of Fire" Vangelis, amazing electric score for an amazing movie, reminds me of grandma's house and Aaron.
7. "Sweet Caroline" Neil Diamond, every Saturday we would play games and listen to oldies. Neil Diamond was a favorite for my mom and her sisters.
8. " Love me Tender" Elvis, "Is this the King?" I loved Elvis as a small child.
9. "Tomorrow" Annie Soundtrack, I would watch this every time I went to my Grandma Geary's. I love that movie so much.
10. "Rocky Raccoon" The Beatles, the fateful Badger Creek Youth Conference when it snowed.
11. " I am a Rock, I am an Island" Simon and Garfunkle, I was sick a lot and for a while this was my theme song. "I have my books and my poetry to protect me. I am shielded in my armor. Hiding in my room, safe within my womb, I touch no one and no one touches me. . . "
12. "Kodachrome" Simon and Garfunkle, you should hear what my mom thinks the words to this song are. Also reminds me of debate and our tee-shirts. The first verse is choice.
13. "Norweigan Wood" The Beatles, I listened to the Beatles every day but Sunday in highschool.
14. "Drive my Car" The Beatles, learning to drive, not wanting to drive, hating to drive.
15. " Magical Mystery Tour" The Beatles, Aaron left on his mission and I got to drive "Old Bess" our 1972 GMC orange and white striped truck with the fake wood stripe. I learned to love to drive in that Truck!
16. "Bitter Sweet Symphony" Senior Year, need I say more. I will never go back.
17. "Wide Open Spaces" The Dixie Chicks--going to Snow and learning to tolerate Country music
18. "You wear Flowers" Peter Brienholt, Snow College
19. "Yesterday" The Bealtes, singing in LD Singers
20. " Good Day Sunshine" The Bealtes, getting to know and love my friend Liz Parnell
21. "Just to See You Smile" Tim McGraw, the first country song I liked
22. "Good Night My Angel" Billy Joel, LD Singers and Natalie
23. "And So It Goes" Billy Joel, Betsy
24. "Into the Woods" Stephen Soundheim, bonding with Kathy and April
25. "I'll Be Seeing You" Grandpa Geary dies
26 "YOur Song" Elton John, back to Logan and USU friends with Adrienne
27 " Invisable" Clay Aiken, intro to American Idol, I will always think of Brianna
28."To Where you Are" Josh Groban, Adrienne's Death
29. "Another Brick in the Wall" Pink Floyd, Graduate School and Teaching, Enter Stephen Haderlie
30. "Forever in Blue Jeans" Neild Diamond, Graduate School and teaching
31. "White Christmas" The Drifters, The chior party where Thad proposed to me with Willy
32. "Defying Gravity" Wicked, Kendra Kendra Kendra
33. "I'm not that Girl" Wicked, my old theme song with boys
34. "You Look Wonderful tonight" Eric Clapton, the Spring Dance, Jodie and Steve's first date--had a blast with Thad
35. "Lost" LOST, LOST parties and Wednesday nights
36. "We are the Champions" Queen, I defended my thesis and graduated
37 "This never happened" Paul McCartney, the Lake House and that great summer before I left
38. "Bad Day" Daniel Powter, first day in Provo
39. "Ooh Child" Five Stairsteps, Provo getting better
40. "Feeling Good" Michael Buble, loving life as a teacher and Provo--go figure
41. "Chasing Cars" Snow Patrol, Thad's birthday meeting Curtis and the crew and Beatle.
42"You are Loved" Josh Groban, break up with Nick and moving on
43 "Nutcracker Suite" Trans Siberian Orchestra, that night we found the house with the lights in sync, meeting the oft talked about Jared for the first time.
44"Agony" Into the Woods, when I came home and we went up to the Ski Lodge and played games and sang songs all the way there and back, a cherished memory
45"Pressure" David Bowie and Queen, this summer, my book.
46Good Morning Baltimore" Hairspray--my life.
47 "Life is Beautiful" Vega 4--life is good, my Fall semester
and there it is so far... goodtimes.
8 comments:
I love that you can put some of your favorite memories to music. I find when I'm listening to the radio, a song will come on and I am suddenly transported to a time that I absolutely cherish the memory of.
So do you have a current theme song? I've been thinking of this and I'm trying to come up with one. I'll let you know what it is when I find it. I would love to know yours!
I'm SO glad that hairspray made it on there!! I love it!!
I've never heard the songs you put together for the Townhouse but I'd love to hear them. We definitely need to get together soon. It's been WAY too long since I've seen you.
Okay, word diva...I have an English language question. What is the difference between a past participle and simple past? I know that the form of the verb is different, but how are the uses different?
As for your blog...I think it is great! I am a music person. I could never give you the artists that I like, but if I hear a song I like, I can tell you if I like it or not...
I have the same phenomenon with music as Kendra, but always to negative experiences. I'm not entirely sure why, but I seem to associate music with rough, stressful, or otherwise bad times in my life. I can't think of any songs that when I listen to them, magically transport me to a fantastic memory...But I can quickly list several that when I hear them give me a sinking, nervous feeling in my gut.
Conversely, scents seem to bring me back to good times. Several smells instantly cheer me up and have that amazing time-machine effect on me, but to always good times and events in my life.
Weird, huh?!?
Music is such an important part in our lives. I love to listen to music and the different lyrics. They take me back to good and bad times. Although I could probably not list them off for you, I could definitely tell you about the memories if I heard the song.
I knew you couldn't be in Provo too long without loving it there.
Whenever I hear Aqualung by Jethro Tull it sweeps me back to the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Music is an amazingly humongous part of our modern lives. Weird to think that prior to Edison's invention of the phonograph, you could only hear music at a concert or a symphony, or if you made it yourself. I suppose there has always been whistling.
I love your soundtracks! I cherish the ones you have sent to me. I am glad you shared the songs that mean a lot to you. What a unique way to do personal history! -Liz
Post a Comment