Kendra's blog about humor has spawned a train of thought for me lately. Laughter is so important in my life. When I was younger it was hard for me to laugh at myself or laugh at my life and see the humor in it. Now I can laugh at myself all of the time and see the glints of humor in really bad situations. It has become a coping tool. Becuase of these experiences I feel that laughter is very precious to me. Not only that but there are many health benefits to laughter--these are not facts from the Readers Digest.
Studies show that humor and laughter help people live longer, happier lives; be more creative and productive; and have more energy with less physical discomfort (Robinson, Khansari, Murgo, and Faith "How Laugther Affects Your Health: Effects of Stress on the Immune System," Immunology Today 11.5 (1990) 170-75.)
Humor reduces stress, fear, intimidation, embarrassment, and anger (Hamerslough, "Laughter and Wellness".)
When a person laughs, blood pressure decreases, heart rate and respiration increase, the body releases endorphins, and depression declines (Cousins, Anatomy of and Illness).
After the laughter subsides and you relax again, the good feeling has a lasting effect, even until the next day (Berk, "Neuroendocrine and Stress Hormone Changes during Mirthful Laughter," American Journal of the Medical Sciences 296.7 390-96).
Today I am thankful that I can laugh, that I smile, and that I can find humor in life. I used to not be able to--I will never go back. While reading the same article I discovered the fact that children laugh 400 times a day and adults only 15. That is a crying shame. How many times have you laughed today? What do we have to do to get back to the place where laughter greets us 400 times a day? I admire so the people who can find humor in life and those who can still play. I have not always felt this way either. But now it is something I aspire to--with this imagination of mine you would think that play would be more possible. I want to play more. So to those out there who laugh and play at any age--I salute you.
1 comment:
Great thoughts! I'll tell you having Owen has made me laugh a lot more. Ryan said just yesterday he has never seen such a silly side of me--I guess we all need to spend more time with kids until we can remember how to laugh! -Liz
Post a Comment