Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fast Sunday




I was able to go to Sacrament Meeting today. I didn't make it to all of church, my injuries are still getting in the way. A week ago Wednesday I was driving home from work on University Parkway. It had already been a tough day full of frustrations. I had stopped at Coldstone for some chocolate therapy and was headed home. In the right hand shoulder lane there was a three car pile up. I gave it some distance and moved on to the stop light that had just turned red. I glanced in my rear view mirror, as I am apt to do when stopped at a light and noticed that the lady in the car behind me was not facing forward but was watching the accident. Suddenly she hit me, without slowing down, without warning even. I immediately felt sharp pain in my neck and spine. The front of her vehicle was mashed, luckily my car sustained only minor damage, but I sustained the real damage. I wasn't able to get into my doctor until Friday. After talking with my parents we decided that I should get a blessing to get me through until I could go to Dr. Frazier. I have amazing hometeachers and friends who I can call upon at a moments notice. My dear hometeacher and friend Chase had a cold and so I warned him that I needed a blessing but that he was in quarantine because I get sick so easily. Bryce my friend and Elder's quorum president came over and his first couselor Brandon, who is our friend and my roommate Pam's boyfriend. He was followed by my other hometeacher Jeremy. They gave me a lovely blessing that sustained me through the next day until I could get to the doctor, where it was discovered that I had serious whiplash and nerve damage in my neck and shoulder. It took another week before X-rays confirmed the damage. I am feeling better now that they have found an appropriate pain med and muscle relaxant for me to take. But teaching and then Halloween and not seeing my doctor for a few days all piled up and today was very uncomfortable. I knew I needed the sacrament, I needed that reminder that as long as there is a Savior and I have access to the priesthood everything will be okay. By mid meeting my neck had started spasms and my upperback was screaming at me. Though I was not able to bear my testimony at church, I wanted to bear it here. This is my testimony.

I know that when bad things happen, the Lord always sends good things to compensate his worthy disciples. Because of the Atonement and desire to believe all can qualify for this compensation through looking to God, having faith in his Son--the Redeemer of us all--and believing in His promises. The Lord has sent amazing people to take care of me, my roommates, my friends, my leaders, family. Even when I am far away from home I am surrounded by love. Life is about learning to do hard things. But because of the Atonement, we are not alone in doing those hard things. The Savior is always there to raise us up, to walk with us, and yes to carry us when we cannot walk. This is hard, but I know that I can do it, because Jesus makes it so.


3 comments:

anna jo said...

this is exactly what I needed to hear right now. thank you.

ps: hope you get feeling better quickly! car accidents are the worst ever.

Katie said...

I'm sorry to hear that you were in an accident. No fun. I hope that you can get some rest and heal.

Liz said...

I am so sorry to hear you were in that accident! I hope by now you are feeling better and that those nerves are recovering.