Friday, July 23, 2010

Fat is Not a Fairy Tale

So I was catching up on my blog role of reading this morning--I have some awesome YAF writers that I follow for inspiration--and I found a post by Jane Yolen, awesome prolific writer who gets to live in Scotland.  It was a letter from a fan who had one of her poems tattooed on her back.  Now, I don't condone tattoos but what a poem.  Here, enjoy!

Fat Is Not a Fairy Tale

Jane Yolen

I am thinking of a fairy tale,
Cinder Elephant,
Sleeping Tubby,
Snow Weight,
where the princess is not
anorexic, wasp-waisted,
flinging herself down the stairs.


I am thinking of a fairy tale,
Hansel and Great,
Repoundsel,
Bounty and the Beast,
where the beauty
has a pillowed breast,
and fingers plump as sausage.


I am thinking of a fairy tale
that is not yet written,
for a teller not yet born,
for a listener not yet conceived,
for a world not yet won,
where everything round is good:
the sun, wheels, cookies, and the princess.

from Such a Pretty Face May 2000
Meisha-Merlin Publishing, Inc

3 comments:

Liz said...

I like it! Are you that author??

AG said...

No, Jane Yolen is. Though I would have written it, if she hadn't. :)

Lee Call said...

I love love love this poem.

Read it to Ty. He liked it too.

Thanks for sharing.

*mwah*