
Ahhh,back to school. I am at UVSC, soon to be UVU. It is my second year and I love it. I teach four classes of English 1010. The kids are good, but they are freshmen. To get back in the swing of things I have been doing my yearly review of back to school movies. Here is a list of those I watch every year to remind myself why I do what I do. I have added some new ones to the list. It reminds me of the quote from "You've Got Mail" about school supplies and bouquettes of sharpened pencils. Unlike most, I look forward to school starting. It means a return to normalcy and sanity.
Back to School Movies
Goodbye Mr. Chips

Dead Poet's Society
Emporer's Club
With Honors
School of Rock
The Freedom Writer's Diaries
Finding Forrester
6 comments:
I've only ever seen Dead Poet's Society and School of Rock.
But the smell of sharpened pencils takes me back to 3rd grade with Ms. Quinn.
You should add "To Sir, With Love" to your list. If you've not seen it, you should. It's a awesome movie...with the always amazing Sidney Poitier. It's one of the early movies in the now well-established genre of an idealistic teacher confronted with a class of cynical & unruley teens. The are probably others, but only movie I can think of in this genre before this was "Blackboard Jungle", which coincidentally had Sidney Poitier as one of the student...although I think this is a much better film. Plus it's got a really good soundtrack, featuring the hit song "To Sir, With Love" by Lulu (who also acted as one of the students in this film).
Oh my gosh! It boggles my mind how many type-o's my posts have the ability to contain! At least in my own blog's posts I can keep going back in and editing-out the mistakes, but once you've posted a comment it's set in stone.
>< <----angry eyes
I can pick out 4 obvious mistakes right now. Alisha can probably find at least a dozen, but she's magic like that. Let's see if you all can find the 4 mistakes I see! Go!!
Alisha's too kind to point out other peoples' flaws, but Thad can be a downright jerk sometimes:
1) It's an awesome movie...
2) cynical & unruly teens...
3) There are probably others, but the only movie I can think of in the genre before this...
4)...had Sidney Poitier as one of the students.
Do I get a prize?
Oh my word I love you two. Jared: I have seen Blackboard Jungle--excellent film and I have always wanted to see To Sir With Love because I love singing the song all of the time. Several others I have just thought of in this genre are Dangerous Minds and Stand and Deliver. Take the Lead probably fits--he is a teacher after all. Thad, you have been very thorough but you missed some. A for effort and you are right that I don't like to point out flaws unless someone has the opportunity to revise. Jared--you are still a good person, don't worry.
No prize. It was just for fun (like solving a sudoku or throwing small rocks at a mime). I actually hadn't counted the mis-spelling of "unruly", and certainly didn't count "THIS genre" versus "THE genre", since I deemed it to be technically correct as it stood...although the use of the word "this" probably was a bit redundant.
I actually also thought of "Dangerous Minds" and "Stand and Deliver" and in the original draft of my post (before I decided it was becoming far too long) cited them as other examples in this genre. I quite enjoyed the latter, and while I liked Dangerous Minds, I think I'd rather watch "Freedom Writers" which is pretty much the exact same movie but based on fact.
Post a Comment