Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Things That I Have Been Pondering


"People know what they do;

they frequently know why they do what they do;

but what they don't know

is what what they do does."


Michel Foucault

The Order of Things


"...have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you becuase you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day."


Rainer Maria Rilke

Letters to a Young Poet

"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two peices of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Becuase of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne."


Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Breakfast of Champions


"I realize that it is not my role to transform either the world or man: I have neither sufficient virtue nor insight for that. But it may be to serve, in my place, those few values without which even a transformed world would not be worth living in, and man, even if 'new', would not deserve to be respected."


Albert Camus

3 comments:

Thaddeus said...

See, Jared. Yeast do like sugar.

I like your second one down. It's what makes Lost so compelling. They can't give all the answers out or we would stop watching.

We are tempted more and more to abandon living the question by finding a quick and easy solution... on Wikipedia. But the only solutions that satisfy are the ones we actively search for.

AG said...

So does this mean that you aren't going to call me with random questions anymore? Or is that your active searching for the answer?

Thaddeus said...

I s'pose it's my active search. Sometimes a single phone call to Alisha doesn't quite satisfy (even though I know it must be true), so me and Steve will get a poll going. That way we're living the question.